EARLY HIGH SCHOOL PLANNING FOR 8TH GRADE - FIRST SEMESTER 10TH GRADE
We want students to have as many options as possible when they are applying for colleges – and we think you do too! Helping students understand how their decisions on choosing classes, developing study skills, and participating in activities, even as a freshman, can open doors in the future is the foundation of early high school planning and college preparation. We provide consultation with students and families, typically once per semester, on the following:
- Planning course selections
- Reviewing learning styles
- Addressing study skills and time management
- Identifying extracurricular and summer opportunities
- Reviewing transcripts
- Deciding on early subject testing (AP, SAT II)
- Introducing post-secondary options
- Understanding the financial aid process
So What Comes Next?
After we’ve guided families through the first half of their child’s high school experience, students transition into College Search and Application Support starting the second semester of their 10th grade year.
Every college is unique, just like every student! Researching colleges takes time to ensure your student is fully prepared to make that enormous leap. We’re excited to learn about your student and his or her goals so we can develop an appropriate and engaging plan for the months ahead. Your College Connectors counselor will assist with the following:
- Review transcript, course selection, and academic profile
- Assess student strengths, interests, and accomplishments
- Develop a timeline for standardized testing (PSAT, ACT/SAT, SAT IIs) and identify test preparation strategy
- Review extracurricular activities and identify opportunities to enrich these interests/experiences
- Develop a customized list of criteria for selecting potential colleges
- Help the student match his or her individual profile to appropriate college choices; support the student’s college research and campus visits
- Create college list
- Create comprehensive application completion timeline
- Support completion of all applications ahead of each deadline
- Discuss early action, early decision, and rolling admission decisions
- Essay development coaching
- Student resumé
- Assist in identifying and requesting letters of recommendation
- Interview coaching
- Review financial aid and merit aid opportunities and applications
- Help evaluate acceptances, scholarships, and need-based awards with student and family
- Plan any appeal strategies
Ready to get your high schooler started on the right foot?
At College Connectors, we want to get students excited for college, even if it’s a few years down the road. From choosing classes and electives that will help solidify their futures, to helping them develop important studying skills early on, we want to make sure your child is prepared.
For more information about our early high school planning, contact our team today! It’s never too early to start thinking about higher education!
Twin Cities, Minn.
St Cloud, Minn.
San Mateo, Calif.